QUESTION 1 – Can eating more than 6 bananas in one sitting be deadly?
It’s sometimes said that eating a lot of bananas at once could be dangerous – it has even been suggested that eating more than six in one sitting could kill you. Can this really be true? Potassium levels are dangerously high! So how dangerous is potassium?
Actually, if the level of potassium in the body is too low or too high it can result in an irregular heartbeat, stomach pain, nausea and diarrhoea. But for a healthy person, “it would be impossible to overdose on bananas,” says Catherine Collins, a dietitian at St George’s Hospital in London. “You would probably need around 400 bananas a day to build up the kind of potassium levels that would cause your heart to stop beating… Bananas are not dangerous.”
QUESTION 2 – Why do we never see baby pigeons?
Visit any town or city, and pigeons are everywhere. But there is something odd about pigeons. We see them old and hobbling around, but we never see their babies. The answer is rooted in the origin of the pigeon itself.
Pigeons that we see in our cities are descended from rock doves, and remain essentially the same bird. So they take after their wild rock dove ancestors, which are very secretive when it comes to situating their nests. But today, with an absence of edgy cliffs and rocky crags in our cities, the feral pigeon must make do, constructing its nest in church towers, abandoned buildings or beneath bridges. Since we don’t often enter such spaces, we don’t often get to see the contents of a pigeon’s nest.
Ways to give yourself time before answering
– That’s a (good/fascinating) question…
– How can I put this…
– You see…
– What I’m trying to say is . . .
Ways to say I don’t know
– Just because.
– That’s the way it is.
– I haven’t the foggiest
– You’ll have to ask him/her
8 more awkward questions to answer
1. Why is grass green?
2. Why don’t all fish die when lightening hits the sea?
3. Where do bees go in winter?
4. Why does cutting onions make you cry?
5. If sheep can’t sleep what do they count?
6. Why does Superman wear his shorts over the trousers?
7. If a turtle has no shell do you call him naked or homeless?
8. If a building is already built why is it called a building?